Victory at Arbitration is VSLO’s union-only legal education seminar held each September. VSLO lawyers provide information to our clients and friends on the latest developments in labour, arbitration, human rights, pension & benefits, Charter law and our advice on how to use the law to protect and advance the rights of workers.
Victory at Arbitration 2022
Clients and friends of Victory Square Law Office are invited to join us for a series of five virtual live streamed educational sessions (in-person capacity has been reached) from our panel of experienced labour lawyers, discussing:
- New and Improved! Updating the BC and Canada Labour Code – A discussion of recent changes made to the Canada and BC Labour Codes to include paid sick leave, new stat holidays, personal leave, and card based certification.
- Trauma-Informed Representation for Unions – An introduction to trauma-informed practices you can bring to your work to promote physical, psychological and emotional safety. With guest speaker, counsellor and trauma-informed practice trainer Monica Bhatara, this session will provide an overview of trauma, its signs and symptoms, and practical advice for supporting your members.
- Privacy Rights and Obligations – An exploration of the various privacy issues that affect unions and their members, including Employer refusal to disclose
personal information about members to unions, Employer breach of employee privacy, the role of unions as custodians of personal information and application of privacy legislation.
- Back to Basics: Grievances – The nuts and bolts of grievances – from procedures and best practices, to time lines, jurisdiction, and the difference between policy, group, and individual grievances.
- VAA 2022 Recent and Notable Cases – A review of the top cases of the previous year and a discussion of the importance of these cases for Unions and their members.
Register to attend Victory at Arbitration 2022 by completing the VAA 2022 online registration form at: http://www.shorturl.at/hjmMT, or by completing the Registration Form included in the seminar brochure.
VSLO is committed to keeping our conference safe and inclusive. Precautions regarding COVID safety protocols will be determined closer to the date of the conference based on the COVID-19 pandemic conditions at that time.
You can request to be added to our mailing list for Victory at Arbitration, obtain more information on this or other upcoming seminars, or inquire about specifically designed seminars or training for your organization, by email.
Past Seminar Resources
Due to COVID-19, Victory at Arbitration 2021 was run as a webinar series including the following topics:
- Freedom of Expression in the Workplace – A discussion of freedom of expression issues arising in the workplace.
- The Ins and Outs of Representing Members in Investigation Meetings – Learn how to prepare and guide members through investigation meetings in various forums, both, in person and on virtual platforms.
- Medical in the Workplace: Drug Testing and IMEs – An update on the law of drug testing and IMEs.
- Recent and Notable Cases 2021 – A review of significant legal developments since VAA 2020.
- Return to the Workplace: Accommodation and Benefits – A hopeful, post-pandemic review of employer obligations during a return to work and working from home, including accommodation of family status and disabilities, as well as a review of related benefits issues.
Victory at Arbitration 2020 was also run as a webinar series including the following topics:
- Back to Basics, Organizing 101 – An introduction / refresher outlining the certification process and foundational labour case law.
- Recent and Notable Cases 2020 – A review of significant legal developments since VAA 2019.
- Pensions and Benefits – an update on pension and benefit matters with emphasis on the implications of COVID-19
- The BC Human Rights Tribunal from Start to Finish – Learn how to effectively gather information, frame your complaint, negotiate a settlement, and prepare for a hearing at the BCHRT.