Pensions & Benefits
We provide a full range of legal services to trustees of pension and health benefit trusts, unions and other benefit providers, including:
- Designing and amending trust agreements and benefit plans
- Advising on legal issues relating to administration of benefits and compliance with relevant legislation
- Communicating with members
- Negotiating contracts with service providers
- Reviewing, advising trustees and negotiating agreements with investment fund managers
- Assisting with claim dispute resolution issues
- Enforcing rights of benefit providers
- Litigating on behalf of trustees and defending claims against them
- Protecting trust funds and contributions, particularly on employer insolvency
- Assisting unions with challenging benefits issues affecting their members
- Claim dispute resolution issues including providing advice as to interpretation of plan text
- Providing proactive advice to trustees regarding changes to legislation or law as required
We also provide services to employees and retirees regarding challenges to pension and benefit calculations, unilateral employer changes to benefits, and related issues.
David Blair, founder, has extensive experience in this field and is recognized as one of the leading practitioners in B.C., providing advice with an understanding of how benefit design and delivery provision is affected by participation of unions on behalf of their members.
Steven Rogers, partner, has worked in this field since 2004, providing advice to benefit trustees and unions and conducting litigation with respect to a wide variety of benefits issues.
Allison Tremblay, senior associate, has worked in this field at Victory Square since 2009, providing advice to benefit trustees, with a particular emphasis on document drafting and legislative compliance. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Allison gained valuable benefit experience in the health sector.